Homemade Snow Globes Brighten Any Home!
Posted 12/16/2009 by Team Elfster
Photo courtesy of AnthropologieWhether or not you get to experience a white Christmas this year, these glittery snow globes can bring a piece of festive weather to you! There are beautiful examples out there, but they can run up a hefty price tag, especially if you’re into collecting. This DIY version costs next to nothing, and lets you personalize to your heart’s content! You choose everything from the jar to the trinkets inside, making this the perfect gift for loved ones. Once you make one, you’ll want to turn everything into a snow globe!
- A jar of your choice (with a lid)
- Figurines or jewellery
- Anti-rust sealant for metal pieces
- Clear-drying epoxy
- Distilled water
- Dash of glycerin
- Large silver or white glitter (smaller versions will float at the top)
- Use clear-drying epoxy to adhere your piece to the inside of the lid. Let dry per instructions.
- After the epoxy dries completely, fill your jar with distilled or boiled water (at room temperature, of course).
- Add just a dash of glycerin so the "snow" falls slowly.
- Add as much glitter as you like. If you don't like the look of glitter, you can usually find faux snow at craft and haberdashery stores.
- Screw your lid on tightly and enjoy your snow globe!